Have you tried everything you can think of to lose excess weight? If so, you may have become extremely frustrated with little to no results. You definitely aren’t alone in that sentiment. Because millions of Americans are in the same boat as you, there are several options out there for surgical weight loss procedures or weight loss procedures without surgery. Our wonderful staff of surgeons at Ideal Body Institute are eager to consult you on all those options and recommend the right weight loss treatment for you. We understand all the factors that can affect weight loss for those who are obese or overweight so we make sure to address any issues concerning your health.
Defined as carrying excess body fat, obesity remains a serious national epidemic which puts people at higher risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease. From 2015-2016, for instance, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that 93.3 million American adults and 13.7 million American children and teens are clinically obese. This alarming statistic has actually more than tripled since the 1970s.
Certain medical conditions that may also lead to weight gain include:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): a condition that causes an imbalance of female reproductive hormones
- Cushing syndrome: a condition caused by having an excessive amount of the hormone cortisol in your system
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid): a condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough of certain important hormones
- Osteoarthritis (and other conditions that cause pain that may lead to inactivity)
Something else our surgeons must diagnose and treat in overweight and obese patients, if applicable is GER or GERD. Below is more information about these below
Common causes of obesity include:
- eating a high-fat and high-calorie diet
- having a sedentary lifestyle
- not sleeping enough, which can lead to hormonal changes that make you feel hungrier and crave certain high-calorie foods
- genetics, which can affect how your body processes food into energy and how fat is stored
- getting older, which can lead to less muscle mass and a slower metabolic rate, making it easier to gain weight
- pregnancy (weight gained during pregnancy can be difficult to lose and can eventually lead to obesity)
Johns Creek, Georgia Weight Loss Surgery Options
Fortunately, there are many different weight loss surgery options available for people who are battling obesity. With medical and technological advances in the field of weight loss surgery, the newest weight loss procedures include:
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG), which reduces the size of the stomach in order for the patient to feel full after eating less and taking in fewer calories. This new surgery for weight loss removes the portion of the stomach that produces a hormone that makes a patient feel hungry.
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (LAGB), also known as bariatric surgery, this type of surgery is done as a laparoscopicsurgery, with small incisions made in the upper abdomen. Around the top part of the stomach is where the surgeon puts the band.
- Laparoscopic Mini-Gastric Bypass (OAGB) is a procedure that involves the creation of two separate stomach pouches and the re-routing of the small intestine in less time than a traditional gastric bypass surgery.
- Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch (LDS), also known as vertical gastrectomy with duodenal switch, is one of the most complicated weight loss surgeries as it combines two surgical techniques. The first is restrictive which involves reducing the size of the stomach by dividing the stomach vertically and removing over 85 percent of it. The other part is biliopancreatic diversion which leaves the pyloric valve responsible for regulating the release of stomach contents into the small intestine.
- Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve Revision, another type of stomach surgery for weight loss, is performed if gastric sleeve surgery was not successful in achieving desired weight loss. Therefore, conversion to a gastric bypass procedure can be a helpful alternative for added weight loss.
- Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) is a weight loss procedure without surgery that reduces the size of your stomach using an endoscopic suturing device. If diet and exercise haven’t worked, this minimally invasive procedure can lead to significant weight loss by limiting how much you can eat.
Johns Creek, Georgia Non-Surgical Treatment of Obesity
- Obalon Balloon helps facilitate weight loss by taking up space in your stomach so you eat less. It is intended to support new healthy eating habits to maintain a healthy weight for the long-term. Placing each Obalon balloon in a patient takes less than 10 minutes and does not require sedation. How that is possible is by having the patient swallow a capsule that contains a small balloon, and then a physician will inflate the balloon.
- Orbera Balloon is a gastric balloon that is inserted orally through your esophagus and placed directly into your stomach during a quick, non-surgical procedure.After the first six months of the weight loss program the stomach balloon is carefully removed and the aftercare program continues.
About Ideal Body Institute
At Ideal Body Institute, our amazing surgical group is proud to offer top-notch healthcare services to all our patients in each community we serve throughout the Peach State. Our knowledgeable physicians and staff work hard to assist patients with their ongoing healthcare needs for as long as is necessary. Using a medically advanced, patient-focused approach, Ideal Body Institute delivers affordable quality healthcare services to everyone. If you would like more information about how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals, please call us at 678-466-6760 for a free consultation. You can count on us to have your best interest at heart.
Located in North Fulton County, Johns Creek is a small city with plenty of appeal. Ranked third on the USA TODAY list of “50 best cities to live in” in 2017, Johns Creek has so many family-friendly, outdoorsy places to explore including Autrey Mill Nature Preserve & Heritage Center, where visitors can learn about the past while appreciating nature. Also in town is Jones Bridge Park, which provides a scenic hike in the forest by the Chattahoochee River.
Hotels in or near Johns Creek, GA
Your Surgery Center.
Ideal Body Institute provides an unmatched patient experience and outstanding results. You matter to us.