If you have struggled with your weight for the last few years or since childhood, you may want to consider finding out surgical and even non-surgical procedures for weight loss. We know it’s a big decision, but there are many safe surgical weight loss procedures or weight loss procedures without surgery out there. Our talented team of surgeons at Ideal Body Institute can help put your mind at ease about these options and find the weight loss treatment that is right for you. There are many factors that can affect weight loss for those who are obese or overweight so that is something we would like to determine for the sake of your overall well being.
Defined as carrying excess body fat, obesity remains a serious national epidemic which puts people at higher risk for type 2 diabetes and heart disease. From 2015-2016, for instance, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that 93.3 million American adults and 13.7 million American children and teens are clinically obese. This alarming statistic has actually more than tripled since the 1970s.
Certain medical conditions that may also lead to weight gain include:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): a condition that causes an imbalance of female reproductive hormones
- Cushing syndrome: a condition caused by having an excessive amount of the hormone cortisol in your system
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid): a condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough of certain important hormones
- Osteoarthritis (and other conditions that cause pain that may lead to inactivity)
Something else our surgeons must diagnose and treat in overweight and obese patients, if applicable is GER or GERD. Below is more information about these below
Common causes of obesity include:
- eating a high-fat and high-calorie diet
- having a sedentary lifestyle
- not sleeping enough, which can lead to hormonal changes that make you feel hungrier and crave certain high-calorie foods
- genetics, which can affect how your body processes food into energy and how fat is stored
- getting older, which can lead to less muscle mass and a slower metabolic rate, making it easier to gain weight
- pregnancy (weight gained during pregnancy can be difficult to lose and can eventually lead to obesity)
Alpharetta, Georgia Weight Loss Surgery Options
Fortunately, there are many different weight loss surgery options available for people who are battling obesity. With medical and technological advances in the field of weight loss surgery, the newest weight loss procedures include:
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG), which reduces the size of the stomach in order for the patient to feel full after eating less and taking in fewer calories. This new surgery for weight loss removes the portion of the stomach that produces a hormone that makes a patient feel hungry.
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (LAGB), also known as bariatric surgery, this type of surgery is done as a laparoscopicsurgery, with small incisions made in the upper abdomen. Around the top part of the stomach is where the surgeon puts the band.
- Laparoscopic Mini-Gastric Bypass (OAGB) is a procedure that involves the creation of two separate stomach pouches and the re-routing of the small intestine in less time than a traditional gastric bypass surgery.
- Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch (LDS), also known as vertical gastrectomy with duodenal switch, is one of the most complicated weight loss surgeries as it combines two surgical techniques. The first is restrictive which involves reducing the size of the stomach by dividing the stomach vertically and removing over 85 percent of it. The other part is biliopancreatic diversion which leaves the pyloric valve responsible for regulating the release of stomach contents into the small intestine.
- Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve Revision, another type of stomach surgery for weight loss, is performed if gastric sleeve surgery was not successful in achieving desired weight loss. Therefore, conversion to a gastric bypass procedure can be a helpful alternative for added weight loss.
- Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) is a weight loss procedure without surgery that reduces the size of your stomach using an endoscopic suturing device. If diet and exercise haven’t worked, this minimally invasive procedure can lead to significant weight loss by limiting how much you can eat.
Alpharetta, Georgia Non-Surgical Treatment of Obesity
- Obalon Balloon helps facilitate weight loss by taking up space in your stomach so you eat less. It is intended to support new healthy eating habits to maintain a healthy weight for the long-term. Placing each Obalon balloon in a patient takes less than 10 minutes and does not require sedation. How that is possible is by having the patient swallow a capsule that contains a small balloon, and then a physician will inflate the balloon.
- Orbera Balloon is a gastric balloon that is inserted orally through your esophagus and placed directly into your stomach during a quick, non-surgical procedure.After the first six months of the weight loss program the stomach balloon is carefully removed and the aftercare program continues.
About Ideal Body Institute
With several locations throughout Georgia, our surgical group at Ideal Body Institute has been providing the best healthcare services to countless patients in all the communities we serve. Eager to help, our wonderful physicians and staff offer ongoing healthcare needs to all our patients. Using both a technologically advanced and patient-focused approach, Ideal Body Institute strives to give patients healthcare services of the highest yet affordable quality. If you or someone you know would like to learn more about how we can assist you with your weight loss plan, contact us for a free consultation at 678-466-6760. At Ideal Body Institute, we want you to be healthier and will be there every step of the way to make sure you reach your goal.
Situated in northern Fulton County, Alpharetta is an affluent suburb of Atlanta. With an estimated 65,800 residents, locals and visitors enjoy marveling at The Mansell House and Gardens, a 1912 Queen Anne-style home which serves as home to the Alpharetta Historical Society. For nature lovers, you don’t want to miss a chance to hike, jog or take a bike ride through The Big Creek Greenway, which is a 6.1-mile-long concrete path that goes through the woods along Big Creek.
Hotels in or near Alpharetta, GA
Your Surgery Center.
Ideal Body Institute provides an unmatched patient experience and outstanding results. You matter to us.