Eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis, is a common skin condition that appears as red, irritated, and itchy patches on the body. It is often seen on babies and young children, especially on the face. Eczema can range from mild to severe forms. It is easier to treat in the early stages.
What causes eczema?
Eczema is thought to be caused by uncontrolled inflammation triggered by your immune system. When your immune system is overactive, it can attack itself as a response to various irritants. Sometimes it can be caused by the immune system having an abnormal response to things that naturally exist in your body.
People often notice that certain things trigger their eczema and cause flare-ups, such as:
- Certain chemicals from detergents or household products
- Abrasive materials or synthetic clothing
- Allergies, especially to food or animals
- Sweating or an elevated body temperature
Different types of eczema
There are many forms of eczema as it can occur on many areas of the body to different degrees. The main types are:
- Contact dermatitis: occurs when your skin contacts irritants that cause burning and redness. This is usually cleared up by removing the source of the irritation.
- Dyshidrotic dermatitis: usually affects the hands and feet, causing itchy and scaling skin on the fingers, palms, and soles of the feet.
- Nummular dermatitis: usually seen on the legs and more commonly experienced in winter, this type of eczema is seen as dry patches of skin.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: appear as red, itchy, scaly rashes, especially around the face, scalp, and ears.
What are the symptoms that can identify eczema?
Eczema most commonly is known for causing itchy and irritated skin. Unfortunately, scratching the skin can lead to worsening the inflammation and cause infections.
Some of the common symptoms include:
- Red or brown patches of skin that can be thick, dry, and flakey
- Severe itchiness on the affected patches
- Fluid filled bumps that can ooze if broken by scratching
- Dried, crusty patches that can be yellowish in color
At Ideal Body Institute, we can identify eczema and other skin conditions. It must be accurately diagnosed to it is treated correctly.
Why should I choose Ideal Body Institute?
Our highly experienced medical team can offer same day treatments for many skin conditions. Schedule a consultation today so that we can help you get relief from eczema by helping your skin to feel healthy and look great!
Your Surgery Center.
Ideal Body Institute provides an unmatched patient experience and outstanding results. You matter to us.